Lost, found and stray dogs:
If you’ve lost your dog, or found a lost dog, follow our advice to help reunite pets with their owners.
Top tips to help find your lost dog:
- Your dog’s microchip – phone the database they’re registered with and report them as missing.
- Contact your local dog warden.
- Notify your local vets, animal hospitals and rehoming centres.
- Register your dog on missing pet websites. We refer the public to Pets Located, exclusively used by our inspectors, but you can find other similar websites through search engines.
Stray dogs and found dogs
Unfortunately, we don’t have enough resources to pick up healthy strays. However, if you’ve found a sick or injured stray, please report them to us.
Your local authority must provide a dog warden service. Find more information on your local council’s website.
If you’ve found a healthy looking dog:
- Report the stray dog to the council.
- Ring local vets and rescue centres.
- If it’s safe, check whether the dog is wearing a tag, call the number and leave a message.
- Ask local vets to scan them for a microchip.
- Create a found poster and place around the local area
- Check listings and add details on missing pet websites. We refer the public to Pets Located, exclusively used by our inspectors, but you can find other similar websites through search e